Reintroduction

8/4/2011 -- A good friend of mine told me several weeks ago that I should continue blogging my life, not necessarily for any of you that happen to read this, but for me. So my goal with my new start is to reflect on things that have happened, how they've changed me, and how I can apply what I've learned to the future. Feel free to follow along or whatever, I got things under control even if no one ever reads this.

First post is something like half done, expected time of arrival: 1 week.



Thursday, September 9, 2010

Preparations To Go

 Verse: "A new commandment I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:34-35 - Love is my favorite emotion. "All you need is Love" as one eloquent soul put it.

 Spanish word: Reír: To laugh. Estoy riendo! I am laughing!

 Song: Red - Start Again
 This is the most played song in my Itunes. It is that amazing. So many times in life I mess up and just need a second chance. This song asks God or a significant other "Can we start again?" Listen to the lyrics. Powerful song. Impacted me in my life and does even right now as I listen to it. I love it.

 "Yeah, I'd like some preparations"
 "Will that be for here or to go?"
 "To go."
 "Alright. some Preparations To Go coming right up."

 And I was off! Flew outta that place packed up and ready to go! ... Not really. I wish it were that easy! Life is one of those things that the more you simplify it, the more complicated it gets. I like simple things, or rather things that can be explained in a simple manner. It is for this reason that I skirt issues that have to do with politics and grudges.
 Anyways, I'm getting ready to go to Peru!! Woo hoo!! Kinda. I leave next Thursday and have successfully cleaned my room and gotten prepared to prepare. So maybe I should have entitled this "Preparing for Preparations To Go" or something.
 Leaning towards the more exciting side of getting ready to spend nine months in a foreign country, I have successfully been fully approved to go through Amor Ministries (the organization that I'll be volunteering through, you can read about them by clicking here.). Breathing a big sigh of relief on my end. The clincher for that was my vaccination records that I sent in today.
 I have also put in a couple of hours at the pool to earn some extra money for Peru. Financially, I'm gonna take a beating this next year, so I figured that even four hours of work (maybe $30 after taxes) would feed me for an extra two weeks in Peru. Last week I discovered that we were feeding ourselves to the tune of about 35 soles (Peruvian currency) a week (comes out to about $12). So they are taking a college aged young man and having him cook his own meals for a whole nine months. Let me gaze into my crystal looking glass.... Hmmm.. Looks like I'll be losing some weight this next year! Ha! Good news is that we are split into groups, so I'll be sharing the cooking experience with more than just me. And! For all you doubters out there, I can cook.
 That was unexpected, but not a bad thing. I've gotten my Typhoid and Yellow Fever vaccinations and decided that I didn't want the $600 Rabies vaccination of three different shots. I hate shots. As to Malaria, I was told that it isn't a huge problem in the area that I will be going too. So considering the fact that Malaria prevention medicine is $6 a day (about 1.6 grand for the whole trip), I've opted to use prayer as my anti Malaria medicine. Plus I dislike taking any kind of medication or pain killers, it just isn't my style.
 In the midst of preparing to go out to Peru, I've been checking into Portland State and ITT Tech for schooling after I get back. For those of you who don't know, I will not be going bock to Walla Walla University for school. It's something that I've put a lot of thought into and talked to many people about, so this isn't a rash decision. I need room to grow and to develop my character. I've discovered that it can be difficult at Walla Walla due to the many controlling restrictions in place. My biggest dislike is the housing policy. I won't go into too much detail, but basically I want to have my own place to live, but I have to be 23, married, or senior status to achieve that even though I am a legal adult... That and other things have prompted this decision.
 My biggest reason for staying would be the friends I've made at Walla Walla. Wow, I will miss them. Also, a close friend of mine posed another reason I might have for going back: an Adventist wife. Might sound silly, but my two goals with a college education is to get a decent job that I love, and find myself a woman that I love and who'll love me. Hmm. I won't go into details on my quest for a woman, but I gotta keep it shelved till I get back from South America.
 One thing I love about this blog is that I can write about me! And you all want to read about me! Ha! Weird how things end up now and then. There is a reason for this though! You all will know me better by the time I'm done with my mission trip, and that is a good thing. I like it when people know me well and your time is MUCH appreciated.

 Prayer Requests:
  My bro. He's spending the year at Project Patch. He could use some prayer.
  My dad. Jobless still unfortunately, I'll be visiting him next week so I'll get you all an update.
  My mom. She's gotta go the whole nine months without a single child living at home with her. It's hard on a mom to do that, and she loves all us kids. Pray for her.
  Finances, anti malaria, and nervousness for me.
  And keep my future in your prayers. I have this lofty goal in life of being able to come home from a great job to a beautiful wife and family everyday. It's getting there that is so complicated. I'm not good at getting to my goals, but I'm sure great at making them. Pray for simplicity. 


Peace, hope, and love to you all. I mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment