Reintroduction

8/4/2011 -- A good friend of mine told me several weeks ago that I should continue blogging my life, not necessarily for any of you that happen to read this, but for me. So my goal with my new start is to reflect on things that have happened, how they've changed me, and how I can apply what I've learned to the future. Feel free to follow along or whatever, I got things under control even if no one ever reads this.

First post is something like half done, expected time of arrival: 1 week.



Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sick week

10/17/10
 One week ago I taught our pet monkey how to shower and then took him out to the fields to work with me, and then yesterday morning he turned up dead. The dogs here got him and killed him. I was really having some fun with having a monkey as a pet. It was different than having a dog because he was able to climb all over me and everything. Plus he ate like crazy and was an extremely vocal little dude. I'm gonna miss him! Already do in fact.
 Anyway, this week was the most boring week since I got here, especially after the fires and the river trip. Sunday was pretty said back, just worked on my blog and hit up CampoVerde to use the internet. Jonathan and I got back and the Doctor sat us down to explain our job. As much as we assured him we understood what he was saying, we discovered Monday morning that we had no idea.
 Monday came around and we went where we thought we were supposed to go, but after something like 30 minutes, we got back to the Chicos laughing at us. Instead of trekking down the highway, we were supposed to be working right next to the wood shop.
 Our job was to clear out the trees that marked our property line. There were two rows with one tree every 5 meters all along the 3100 meter property line. The doctor said 500 trees, but according to my calculation puts it closer to 1240 trees. Ouch. We had to clear out any grass or bushes around for a meter in case of another fire.
 That was fun stuff, so fun that Tuesday Jonathan and I took the last little bit of our work day and went pineapple hunting out in the burned pineapple fields. I'd say something like 90% of the fields burned. You have to realize that this is a Peruvian pineapple field, so the pineapple plants were extremely hard to get to through all the trees and bushes growing up around them, but we still managed to find 6 massive pineapples after almost an hour of looking. We hauled them back along with the monkey and dropped them off in the kitchen.
 The next morning, Wednesday morning, was the worst morning since I've been in Peru. I spent the whole morning after 3 am with diarrhea. That sucked. After that I spent most of the next three days in, on, or around my bed trying to make myself well. That was about as exciting as it got around here for those days. Being sick is no fun, but being sick in Peru is even worse. No matter what you do, even if you are laying on a bed doing absolutely nothing with a fan blowing on you, you are going to be sweating. I miss home and the weather there. Only 6 and a half more months until I get to come home!
 Yesterday, Saturday, Jonathan preached a sermon about prayer. Nothing too crazy considering his Spanish capabilities, but it was fun to listen too! He had a lot of verses for people to read. After that was my relaxing Sabbath afternoon, and then we had the evening session, and then we watched some Stargate and then bed!
 And that brings me to today! Nothing awesome happened here this week, at least awesome enough for me to call awesome. I did end up finally breaking my headphones, and in the process of trying to fix them I stabbed myself with Jonathan's knife and had to super glue it shut to keep the blood from gushing out. That was pretty exciting I guess, depends on your definition of exciting though.
 Oh! We had a meeting on Wednesday... Or maybe Thursday... The days blend together when you don't do much. But we talked about security and changes that were going to be taking place around here. After the fires and then the robbery, the A.M.O.R. Projects counsel got a talking to from the US State Department. If anything else happens to us down here, we are going to be evacuated out. Craziness.
 So, because of that, we are stepping up security. This means that our curfew is now 7 pm, we cannot go anywhere alone (makes sense), they are going to actually start using the gate, they are going to put in a siren for communication between the two houses, and living spaces are going to be rearranged for the sake of spreading out the men.
 Scared of legal action, the A.M.O.R. Projects counsel also forbade any of us SMs from helping out with fighting any of the fires...... These are fires that are threatening our stuff... Not sure that really makes much sense. But hey, between you and me, I'll be out fighting any fire on our land down here no matter what the counsel tells me. I got away with nothing more than a burned ankle, which is almost healed, so I'm not too worried about another massive blaze sweeping through our jungle. Plus, rainy season is coming!
 We were also informed that the treasurer of the Project is coming down to visit and is seriously considering putting in internet down here! Boo-ya! Internet in site! Sure it won't be any faster than CampoVerde, but it will allow for more communication with the outside. Which is safer and more convenient. You guys would all love to hear about me every night, wouldn't you?
 I would appreciate any prayers that I can get! Still hanging in down here, but sometimes just barely. I'm ready to come home for sure. They said the homesickness would take about 2 weeks to leave, but here I am on my third week and I'm still feeling it. It's a ton of fun down here, don't get me wrong, but I feel like I just ditched my life back home to pursue something different down here.
 One thing I have found though, leaving everything behind has really shown me the value if my life back home. Sometimes you have to leave something behind for a bit to realize how much you love it. I love home. For those of you that don't know me too well, here's a little tidbit. I'm a home boy, always loved being home, never really like going on vacations even. So here I am in Peru, does that make sense? I don't think so.
 Miss you all, definitely looking forward to coming home. Pray for me, remember me, and keep reading my blog! Peace to you all.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Anthony, we miss you too. Do you know why you got sick? Maybe you ate something that was not washed well enough. It is worth it to try to figure out why you got sick, so you don't do it again. Sounds like you guys are having a great time. By the time you come home you will feel at home there. Everything is fine here. Fall has arrived, the mornings are crisp and the afternoons warm. God bless you both. JoAnne Kort

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like you guys are having some memorable times. I'll keep praying for y'all. By the way, the homesickness thing *does* get better. Just keep trucking and take it one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anthony! That's terrible that the monkey died! And the homesickness does get better. Although hopefully you get over it sooner than I did, which was around February...but we're definitely praying for you and missing you around here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a rough week. Hoping for a better week ahead. I will be praying for you.

    An Arkies Musings

    ReplyDelete