Reintroduction

8/4/2011 -- A good friend of mine told me several weeks ago that I should continue blogging my life, not necessarily for any of you that happen to read this, but for me. So my goal with my new start is to reflect on things that have happened, how they've changed me, and how I can apply what I've learned to the future. Feel free to follow along or whatever, I got things under control even if no one ever reads this.

First post is something like half done, expected time of arrival: 1 week.



Sunday, November 14, 2010

Burnin out, but burnin bright

11/14/10
 Some of the mistakes and misunderstandings I made in my blog:

"AMOR as an organization is not scared of legal action from volunteers or parents. The base issue is that our calls are "independent" meaning that they aren't listed through the GC. This means that your universities have full legal responsibility for you being in Peru and they do not share that with the "church". Thus, safety is always high on their list. And MUCH more so after the assault." -Jenni (SM coordinator for A.M.O.R.)

 Also the state department thing was just them offering to help evac if it was needed, but this was after A.M.O.R. Reported the robbery incident as required.

 These misunderstandings were due to the fact that the Doc likes to joke around and over exaggerate, even in serious times. So there is what is really going on, or really what went on anyway. On with the blog!

 This has been a super busy week for me. Wow wow. No kidding. Average time getting off work every night: 6:30. Time we are supposed to be off work: 6. Ouch. On top of that, last weekend the internet was not working, so my dia libre (day off) wasn't as good as it coulda been. We did watch a movie Sunday night as a group, that was pretty fun!
 Monday was like any other Monday, getting out of bed was the worst part of the day. First day of work after the weekend. Worked the morning weth Jonathan out in the jungle and the afternoon working on the hammock house while Jonathan was at his class. For the floor of the hammock house, we topped the cement/sand mixture with colored cement to make it look cool. It's a octagon shaped building, so they use red and green, trading off every other. The reasoning for that is not because Christmas is coming, but because those are the colors of Peru.
 I do realize that me writing out everything I do everyday is pretty boring, but I'm writing it for me so that I can remember everything I did down here! So if you don't like it, you can skip it and read the exciting parts.
 Tuesday was a day to remember! The morning was more work out in the jungle with Jonathan. This week nothing really exciting happened out in the jungle... At least that I can remember... We've seen monkeys, crazy insects, and gotten bit by all kinds of things, but this week seems like it was just nothing exciting. Boring! Anyways, in the afternoon I was working with the guys (the Peruvians) working on laying the mezcla (cement/sand mixture) and we had some music going on the stereo system we had found. (We were listening to Kutless at the time) One of the girls came out saying that she had called the doc and he wanted to talk to us. I thought that was kinda weird, but Daniel took the call because, as a peruvian, he can communicate with the doc better than I can. She had told the doctor that we were listening to non christian music, which, if any of you know Kutless, we weren't. That was weird. So I explained to Daniel, who couldn't understand the words, that yes indeed it was christian music and that it wouldn't be playing anything else. That was that.
 Or at least so I though, maybe 3 songs later, the music suddenly stops and I hear the girl's voice issuing a sigh of relief (will withold the name). That was strange. The Peruvians I was working with love listening to music, so they were all disappointed to hear it quit. The worst part of the whole deal was, that when she came out of the house after turning the music off (the sound system was inside with the speakers pointed out the windows, when I say sound system, I don't mean a super nice studio quality stuff) she exclaimed something about being glad she didn't have to hear that devil music anymore. Woah. Not only did she not ask me to turn it off (she called the doc) she also called Kutless devil music. I then had to explain to all the chicos that yes indeed it was christian music and nothing else. The female SM claimed that the beat was evil. Hmm. First time I've heard that one. If she didn't like it, she could have just told me so and I woulda changed it. In fact, we spent the rest of the afternoon listening to Tenth Avenue North, Mainstay, and the Newsboys. Threw in some Caleb & Sol, Casting Crowns, Switchfoot, and some of Kutless' Worship stuff the next couple of days as well.
 The next day was nothing to call home about, same ol hard work. This whole past week though, the doc has been taking a group out to work at Km 8 to build living spaces for some of the girls who are going to be living there with a new doctor that is moving here this week I believe. They have all been getting back at 8 every night, so I've been careful to keep myself occupied with the work around the site to keep from getting drafted onto that work crew.
 Thursday I had another run in with the lady SM who thinks electric guitar is devilish. This time she turned off the Peruvians' Comba (I think that's how it's spelled, that is how they say that style of music anyway. Kinda like our pop, but Peruvian style. Less synthetic sounds and more Peruvian intruments and of course Spanish singing.) and turned on some of her music. Now let me make something clear real quick, there is a time and place for church choirs and organs and I sure love that music if it's done right, but when she messes with what we're listening to while we are working (and she isn't) it can really tick a guy off. I was nice about it though, and obliged her music for a couple songs while she watched us work (realize that she is technically on the manual labor team...). I did finally just come out and tell her what was going down. We were working (the guys) and we wanted to choose our music. I said it nicely, don't worry, no flames or anger from me. She saw what I meant and I changed the music, careful to avoid devil beats.
 Thursday night Jonathan and I went with a couple of the Peruvian dudes to go chill in CampoVerde and get some food. Nothing too crazy, but one thing I learned from it all is that these Peruvian guys have a lot of chicas, girls, that they claim as theirs... Doesn't make sense to me either. One of Daniel's girls was at the restaurant, that's how that came up.
 One thing I love about down here is all the fresh fruit. I've eaten so much pineapple since I got down here! Yum yum! And the other day, don't remember which, I chowed down on some granadilla, good stuff! The inside of this fruit looks like frog eggs, or something like that, and is super slimy in the mouth, but let me tell you, that stuff is good! The avocados aren't ripe yet, but we have 2 massive trees that I'm looking forward too! We have 15 or 20 massive mango trees as well that should be ripening anytime now. Man oh man I'm going to miss all a that when I get back to the states. Good stuff.
 Friday we worked planting palm trees for palm oil. That was great because we were near a pineapple field and had several great pineapples. Fridays are really long though because we work 6 hours straight, 8-2, which is tough. When we got back, we found out that the girls had been watching movies all day. Felt great to hear that. We also got chastised for being late to lunch.. But that was due to working late. Gotta love the female SMs down here.
&nbps;Friday afternoon was better though, I got to go into CampoVerde and use the internet! First time in two weeks for that. The girls all go and use it whenever, so it wasn't a big deal for them, but I had a lot of business to attend to and didn't manage to finish it all in the hour I had online. I emailed ITT Tech, sent an inquiry about my possible summer job, talked to my sis, got some downloads done, posted last weeks blogs, and still didn't get everything done. For those of you who haven't heard much from me, I'm sorry. I've started copying emails onto my jumpdrive so I can reply to them when I'm not pressed for time on the net, but even then I only have so much free time here on site. Been typing for the last 3 hours doing this and some other emails, and I'm still not caught up. Communication down here is tough.
 Saturday was a good day. One of the Peruvians guys, Daniel, invited Jonathan and I out to his place to go to his church, so we went. His church was quite a bit bigger than the one out here, and his mom is an AMAZING cook! I'm gonna miss Peruvian food when I get back to the states. We have rice and some type of beans a lot, but let me tell you, I don't get tired of rice and beans! And all the fresh fruit, yukka, and the juices. Mmmmmm.
 Saturday evening we just chilled, watched a couple movies last night and got to bed kinda late. Ah well. I'll go to bed early tonight. My average bed time around here is like 8:30, and I'm still tired at 7 when I have to get up, that's crazy! Working too hard. Reminds me of High School swim season, I can hardly get out of bed every morning cause I'm sore and tired. It's good though, makes me feel better about myself.
 Anyways, I'm still here. Still working hard and still missing home. Called my mom Friday, makes me miss home more. Hope you are having fun wherever you are! Keep me in your prayers please. Tough times are a happenin.

"In all things, whatever you ask in prayer, believing, you shall receive it." Matt 21:22

"We have this confidence in him: if we ask anything according to his will, he will hear us. If we know that he hears us, then whatever we ask, we know that we will receive." 1 John 5:14-15


Peace.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing well. Love you lots, JoAnne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anthony, I just discovered that you have this blog and have spent the last 90 minutes reading to get an update on all that has happened in Peru. It sounds as if you have had MANY opportunities to grow and mature. Your cousin Daniel is in Ecuador right now on mission too (only short term this time but he spent a year in the Dominican Republic while during his college years). Rachel and Seth will be with us from Southern for Thanksgiving. I will fill Uncle Danny in on your status and we will surely remember you in prayer. "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." (Romans 15:13).

    ReplyDelete