Reintroduction

8/4/2011 -- A good friend of mine told me several weeks ago that I should continue blogging my life, not necessarily for any of you that happen to read this, but for me. So my goal with my new start is to reflect on things that have happened, how they've changed me, and how I can apply what I've learned to the future. Feel free to follow along or whatever, I got things under control even if no one ever reads this.

First post is something like half done, expected time of arrival: 1 week.



Monday, November 1, 2010

Future?

11/1/10

 Rabbit Rabbit to you all!! I need the luck, ha! Anyway, just wanted to let you all know that the last week has been super busy, and that is why it took me so long to put up a post. Last Sunday we had a clinic instead of a free day (dia libre), and then on Thursday, our new free day, the electricity was out when I went into CampoVerde to use the internet. So I was stuck and unable to post anything.
 Good news though!! It sounds like the treasurer is going to be for sure moving down here and for sure is going to get us internet!! By next February, so I'm super excited for that!! Can't wait!
 On Friday, the local Peruvian workers convinced us to go play soccer with them, so we did, and let me tell you something, these guys are bred to be good at soccer! Ha! There was no chance for any of us, but it was still fun! My team ended up winning, so I earned myself 4 soles!! That was fun.
 For this weekend I was on guard duty. This, even though it's called guard duty, means that I can't go anywhere over the weekend so that we always have someone on site. On top of that, it means that I had to milk the cow, cut grass for the cow, and wash the truck. So I like to call guard duty, the weekend worker. I did get certified to drive the truck though! And the doctor let me and Jonathan take the motorcycle into CampoVerde yesterday! First time driving a motorcycle, and, man oh man, it is a ton of fun!
 Saturday night we dug out the projector and watched a movie projected on to a sheet. It actually worked too, until the ipod speakers we were using ran outta juice. Fun times.
 Today is a holiday down here in Peru, so we have another dia libre! Which is great considering that I'm still sore from playing soccer. So I'm relaxing just typing away and listening to music. This is the life! Makes me miss home.
 Many of you are probably wondering what I'm planning on doing with my life. Yeah.. Me too. I got to talked to my mom about it yesterday, so things are looking better than before, but I'll lay it out for you:
  Basically I have 2 options based on my skill sets, interests, and my personality. These are: IT work, computer support type stuff, and Social Work/working with kids. Two very different things, but they do have something in common: I like both!
 Reasons I would do IT work: I love working with computers. Even down here in Peru, I've been putting in at least ten minutes a night studying for my IT certifications for when I get back. I love it. With IT work, I would make more money, that is for sure. I would also be able to have that well defined line where work ends and home life begins, that would be extremely nice. I want to be able to easily prioritize my wife and eventually kids, above my job. It would be, in my opinion, much easier with IT work.
 Social work, aimed towards the children aspect of the job, is more towards the service aspect of the career spectrum. It's more of a lifestyle than a job. When I say social work, I should clarify a bit and say that I'm looking at working with kids. Maybe I should just teach? Ha. No idea here. That would be fun for sure.
 Let me tell you what I think would work out the best at this point in time. I can have a career in IT without a degree, so why not get a degree in whatever, social work or teaching or something, and take some IT classes where I can, but focus on getting my IT certifications. That is my genius plan to take over the world. No idea how to implement it though. We'll see how everything works out though, you will be hearing about it all. If you have any advice, throw it out please!
 Keep in contact! Peace.

3 comments:

  1. Anthony! Just wanted to let you know we're alive up here in WW. Sounds like you've been putting in a lot of hard work - keep it up & know that we're all praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anthony! I never even thought of you doing teaching before; do you think you'd enjoy it? But as for your rough plan for your life, sounds like you're well on your way to figuring things out, which is more than I did while I was an SM (haha), so good job! Keep up the good manual labor too; just think of all the muscles you're acquiring! Anyway, you're still in our thoughts and prayers here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember, the average adult changes careers 4 times during their lives. Ha! JoAnne

    ReplyDelete