Reintroduction

8/4/2011 -- A good friend of mine told me several weeks ago that I should continue blogging my life, not necessarily for any of you that happen to read this, but for me. So my goal with my new start is to reflect on things that have happened, how they've changed me, and how I can apply what I've learned to the future. Feel free to follow along or whatever, I got things under control even if no one ever reads this.

First post is something like half done, expected time of arrival: 1 week.



Monday, January 17, 2011

Muchos crazy niños!

1-16-10

 This is week 17. Wow. Looking at the calendar, I've got 15 weeks to
go! Dang. Seems like such a short time now that I've made it as far as I
have. Got an email from my mom the other night, and it looks like I'll be
coming home on the third of May! I will say that I'm REALLY looking forward
to going home, but also am having a lot of fun here in Peru.
 This week made me realized that I want to have a buncha kids, or at
least live somewhere where there are a lot of kids around. I really like the
atmosphere in the Peruvian villages around here. Everyone is super friendly
to all the other people within the same village and the kids run around in
herds playing together and such. Can't say I've seen much of that where I've
come from, but I think one reason is that there just aren't as many kids per
family in the states. I'm not dissing the states here, don't get me wrong, I
just think it's really cool how close the people of each village are.
 What brought this thinking around was all the time I've spent in a
little village nicknamed 'Los Mangoes', but before I get to that, let me
just fill you in real quick about the end of my Christmas break.
 The last couple of days that me and Jonathan were in Costa Rica, we
just chilled and tried not to spend too much money. We talked to some
friends and family on Skype, made a Taco Bell run, and I picked up two new
machetes. Nothing too crazy, and the flights back to Peru were surprisingly
uneventful. In fact, since coming to Peru, our trip back to Peru from Costa
Rica was a perfectly executed day of travel. Nothing went wrong and we got
to Peru without being too tired.
 Though on Sunday (the day after we flew in), I ended up going into the
airport early to pick up Janessa, but that was cool. I enjoy driving.
 Sunday was a chill day, we just kinda hung out here at 38. Can't think
of anything that we did that was exciting other than planning for the
medical campaign that we were going to have. I did work on the Doc's Wife's
computer, but that was a failed job. She uses her computer in Spanish, so I
don't have compatible software. Woohoo.
 Sunday night, after about 15 minutes of warning from Jonathan, I had
to drive some of the girls out to Km 8 (our permanent clinic). Jonathan
decided at the last minute that he didn't want to go. So I found myself at
8, with water that runs twice a day at the leisure of the guy in charge of
the water of the little village.
 Monday was day 1 of our medical campaign clinic, as well as day 1 of
an evangelical campaign by some higher ups from the SDA church, both located
in the same little village, Los Mangoes (Km 6).
 The days this week for me were pretty busy with working in the
pharmacy, running errands, and then the evangelistic series in the evenings.
 I was the Doc's errand boy for the week, doing all kinds of things. I
went shopping for medicines, shopping for roofing, took the van and the car
to the mechanic at two different times, and picked up lunch everyday from 8.
 It was a good week, even though it was super busy. A usual day was
from about 7 in the morning until something like 10 at night. Clinic from 8
till 6ish, kids program from 6:30 till 7:30, and then keeping the kids
entertained from 7:30 till 8:30 during the adult program of the
evangelistic series. Then after we hung around for a bit and then drove
back to 8 and did all the dishes, chatted, and went to bed. So right now,
I'm super tired.
 But this week was totally worth it. The kids at Los Mangoes are all
really cool! We drove there yesterday, and as we were driving in, the all
came running out to the truck and crowded into the truck bed. It was crazy!!
A flood of kids from the village, like 20 of them, maybe even 30!
 The kids loved going for 'vueltas' (I think that's how you spell it),
little trips in the back of the truck. They'd be in the back shouting 'mas
rapido!' (faster). But the roads are so bumpy there, that it's next to
impossible to drive more than 10 kilometers an hour. They still enjoyed it,
and I even got some of them to direct me to the copiadora (copier) to make
copies of our little chart things we use for the patients.
 Something that I thought was hilarious, is how much they loved my
sombrero (hat). I have this tan full brimmed hat that I picked up for a play
in high school and I use for work, sun, and the rain. The kids loved wearing
it, so from the time I got there, till the time I left each day, I would see
it on at least 15 different heads and I would have to ask to get it back
from them when I left in the evenings. Now my hat hardly keeps it's shape,
but it was definitely worth it because the kids love hanging out with me and
they love my hair, ha! I'm probably gonna be bald by the end of this next
week. They love running their hands through my hair, and after running around
in the dirt all day and eating, their hands are pretty sticky. Oh well,
there are worse things in life.
 So I really enjoyed this last week, even with how busy it was, and I
look forward to hanging out with the kids every night this week. And that is
why I wouldn't mind having a bunch of kids or living somewhere with a bunch
of kids around, but hey, no idea whats gonna happen in life and living in
Peru has taught me not to worry about tomorrow. Who needs strict schedules?
Not me, at least while I'm in Peru. This week I know I'll be at Km 8 working
there during the days and then going to the meetings in the evenings.
 The transition back to Peru was quick and the hardest part was
probably living at 8 without running water, but even then, that ain't
nothing compared to how some of the people live around here. Stepping off
the plane was crazy because it was relatively cool in Costa Rica, and here
I'm in a constant sweat.
 Something else I just remembered: The kids in Los Mangoes really want
to learn English, and so there is a possibility (I'm hoping that it's a high
possibility) that I will be an English teacher. The great part about this
opportunity, is that I wouldn't be teaching in a formal setting, so I would
be able to do it how I wanted to, I wouldn't have to meet a certain schedule
or keep to a certain curriculum, and I would get to chill with the kids
there a couple times a week. We'll see what happens though, the Doc liked
the idea, but the manual labor team has a lot to do these next couple
months.
 We are building a house at Km 38 for the treasurer to live in, and
then also building a house at Km 8 for a group that's coming with an
American doctor/teacher (Dr. Madson. He was here earlier this year to see
what this place is all about. I think he's from some University in
Virginia). On top of that, we have plans to build a 200 ft internet tower
here at 8 for the treasurer's wife so that she can work from here. We'll see
how all that goes.
 Well stay strong all of you, life goes on whether you want it too or
not.
 This last week has made me realize that I would love doing stuff like
this with my life, but I would definitely do it independent of any
organization that tried to control me or stood for things that I didn't, but
that should be a given with anything.
 So I'll catch you all later, I'll let you know next week when I'll be
home because I should know by then. Oh! And my finances for the week, here
they are:
  15 soles on sunglasses, 25.10 soles on copies for the medical
campaign, 3 soles on a bottles of water (had little errand boys for that),
30 soles on the food for last week, 12 soles on coconuts, 6 soles on parking
at the airport (two different trips), and 14 soles on dinner last night with
all of us SMs. Wow, lots of money there with a total of 105 soles (about
$37.5). I do want to say that sunglasses, coconuts, and dinner are not usual
expenses for me, but other than that, most others are relatively usual.
Airport parking happens more around breaks when people are leaving and
coming back.
 So there you go! At the rate of 100 soles a week, that's 1500 soles
for the rest of the time here ($535). I am trying to lessen my spending and
do expect not to spend that much everyday, but we'll see what happens.
 Have fun wherever you are and don't work too hard! Peace.


Antonio.

3 comments:

  1. I like reading these posts Anthony. I'm looking to SM next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anthony!
    This blog made me smile and ALMOST tear. You are SO good with the kids. They really love you. You´re doing great things here. I really hope you can teach them English too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, glad to hear you're still alive and doing well (I'm also glad you're enjoying it more down there)! Your stories about the kids are so cute, haha! Anyway, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete