Reintroduction

8/4/2011 -- A good friend of mine told me several weeks ago that I should continue blogging my life, not necessarily for any of you that happen to read this, but for me. So my goal with my new start is to reflect on things that have happened, how they've changed me, and how I can apply what I've learned to the future. Feel free to follow along or whatever, I got things under control even if no one ever reads this.

First post is something like half done, expected time of arrival: 1 week.



Sunday, April 17, 2011

Hard work

4/17/11

 This week was a week of work and I am extremely tired, not that it's necessarily a bad thing, just an observation. To put it in perspective, I've slept 25 hours between the last two nights and I still feel ready to go back to bed, so either I'm sick with something weird or I'm just super tired. Dunno.
 But hey, doesn't mean this week was a bad one. We officially finished pouring all the concrete for Kevin's house and even put a red layer on top to make it look cool. That was a lot of hauling cement and sand, but we were lucky enough that the doc rented a cement mixer, so that saved us a TON of time. Even with the mixer, it took us two days to completely finish everything.
 To reinforce the doc's image of poor communication, he failed to tell the rental place that he was going to rent the mixer for more than one day. He told us to use it as long as he needed, but told the owner that we were only going to use it for one day. So when I hauled the thing back to the rental place, the guy was demanding compensation for the poor communication. I didn't have any money, nor was I the party at fault, so I gave him the Doc's phone number and headed out.
 Though I have come to believe that the communication factor is not just the doctor. It seems to run in the culture as well. The second day of pouring cement we worked well into our two hour lunch break, I was so hungry I finally just quit because the guys just kept telling me that they were going to stop in just a little bit. That gets old after hearing that for two hours. After I stopped and took a break for lunch and got back to work, I was informed that the plan was to work until we finished and then we'd be taking the rest of the day off. I just wasn't told that, so I worked until they quit and took the rest of the day off with them. Funny how things work.
 We also had a meeting with the doctor this week, the day before he made his weekly trek to Lima. Well to be correct, I should say that everyone else had a meeting with the doctor, after half an hour of waiting for him to show, I decided to hit the sheets. He said we'd have a meeting at 8 and I waited till 8:35 after being 5 minutes late, and so I went to bed. My reasoning was that he wasn't nice enough to show respect for us, so I didn't feel like he deserved my presence, ha!
 Though at the meeting it was decided that we are going to have another medical campaign this next week up the river. And man let me tell you that I'm super excited to go on another trip with the doctor. Love spending good quality time with him, especially if he's the one doing all the planning.
 The plan is that we are leaving tomorrow and will arrive at out destination after a 20 hour trip by boat. Then we will have the normal med campaign, a day off on Sunday (Can't believe it either), and then make our way back on the 27th I do believe. Honestly though, I have no idea. Since the plans have been made, there has already been one major change, we move the departure date from today to tomorrow because the boats don't leave on Sundays.
 That's the plan anyway. I'm going to assume that we just have no idea when we'll be getting back and the doctor is just saying the 27th to sound good. Rumor has it that we are going to be receiving a free trip there, free lodging, and free food. That sounds great to me! But once again, it's not something that I expect. Working with the doctor has taught me to have no expectations and be prepared for anything. And that is what I'm doing.
 I did have one morning this week that I spent running around Pucallpa trying to find parts for the mechanic who was fixing our weed whackers. That is definitely something different about Peru than the states, if you want the Mechanic to fix your stuff, you have to come up with the parts, unless of course you go to the big fancy American type mechanic shops, but those are usually a bit more on the expensive side.
 That was a funny experience though, after going to 5 different shops, each telling me to try the next one, and something like an hour or two of walking around, I went back to the mechanic and he was nice enough to inform me that I could just buy the parts for a different model and they were the exact same. Good communication is what that's called.
 Ah well, as different as it is down here in Peru, I'll still say that I do enjoy life here a bit better than I have in the States. The things I miss the most is my family and friends back home and having an income. Living with an income really makes me put a little more value on money. There is nothing to replace each sole I spend and thinking about that is very daunting. Money is a valuable thing to have, can't lie about that.
 Life goes on down here, T minus two weeks and a day or two will my return. At this point it looks like I'll be low on cash when I get back to the states, but if you need any work done let me know, I work cheap!
 It's still looking like I'll be hitting up school for a quarter this fall, but I'm still waiting on a reply from ITT, they do seem to be extremely sluggish when it comes to replying to prospective students which is an interesting tactic for a University to have, but hey, if they don't respond or have no interest in accepting me, there are other schools and there ain't nothing wrong with taking time off to work.
 The future is a mystery and ain't no planning gonna change that. So why plan at all? Ha! Just kidding, but there is a point where you can plan too much. Don't forget about that.
 And now for my favorite part! Expenses!! Well not really my favorite part, but here goes: 30 soles into food, 95 soles into a soccer ball for the guys, .5 soles of water melon in Pucallpa, 5 soles for a lunch we had in Campo, .5 soles of juice on the way to Pucallpa with Elias, 11 soles of gas for his motorcycle, 2 soles in betting on the soccer games we played, 1 sole to a dude that watched the truck while I was in Pucallpa when I had bags of cement in the back, 10 soles on a phone card, and that's all I can remember right now. I have a list back at 38, but I'm in the airport mooching off their internet right now, so I'll leave it at that. That puts my week total at 155 soles, a new high. That brings my average up to 77 soles a week and my total is now 1078 soles spent since I got back from Christmas break. Not bad and this next week looks to be cheap because we won't have to pay for food or transport! But we'll see about that.
 Home in 2 weeks and 2 days.


Peace,
Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment